Friday, October 22, 2010

Friday Letter #7 - What Takes My Breath Away

Dear Liza,
I know I've written a lot about the beauty of the ordinary, but I want to tell you about another kind of life moment...the kind that takes your breath away. When I'm so filled with awe by an experience, my heart feels like it might burst. Many times tears follow these heart swells. They're not sad ones, but instead, the way my body is responding to and releasing this awesome emotion it simply cannot contain. When I read a passage that so perfectly expresses something I have experienced, I'm left breathless. After months and months of waiting, hoping, and praying for Daddy's safe return, when finally I can wrap my arms around him again, homecomings are another moment that take my breath away. Watching you discover, begin to make sense of this world, and communicate with us, well, it just doesn't get much more heart-bursting than that.
Bitsy, you're already experiencing these moments in your own way. Yours usually manifest in utter JOY written all over your face, a quick deep intake of breath, and lots of pointing. Ants, the sky, big trucks, a wide open space to walk around in, the faces of your people appearing on the Skype screen, your belly button...life really is a breathtaking experience, isn't it?
Love, Mama
This post was inspired by FridayLetters.com's question #154. 

1 comment:

Gibi said...

There's a praying mantis hanging out on our porch this week. He turns his head and looks at me every time I come out the front door. When I first saw him, I jumped back and did that very breathless thing you're describing. Oh, I wish I could show LIZAbird! She'd lose it for SURE.