Friday, October 1, 2010

Friday Letter #4 - Needs

Dear Liza,
I believe we are always given what we need, even if in the present moment we are unaware of those gifts. Often it's not until we've moved farther along our paths, and can stop to look back, that we realize the myriad of ways our needs were being met.
Bitsy, human beings get confused about what we think we need and what our needs truly are. We tend to lose focus (at least I do), and our vision becomes clouded by the tough parts of life. Lately I've been learning the power of conscious gratitude to refocus my heart, mind, and attitude. In trying to make thankfulness a daily habit, I'm stopping those overwhelming feelings of "if only" in their tracks, choosing instead to be grateful for how abundantly my needs are being met. 
It's the simple things, really...
the smell of your hair after a bath
a cloudy day in the desert
you & Daddy building with Legos
freshly baked bread
your laughter at the wind
Remembering to notice reminds me that, yes, I'm being given just exactly what I need.
I am so grateful.
Love, Mama
This post was inspired by FridayLetters.com's question #151.

4 comments:

Mimi said...

Gratitude for all the wonderful things in our days is such a liberating experience. Joy in the small things as we move through the day is infectious. It's lovely to be satisfied with what we have & chase the "if only" monster out. Love your Friday postings. Love you & yours.

GUD said...

Ditto

Gibi said...

Thankful for the Hemmings!

Erik said...

seriously Claire, these letters are amazing! my motivation once I get my head back above water :)