Friday, October 15, 2010

Friday Letter #6 - Through Your Eyes

Dear Liza,
They say eyes are a window to the soul, that sacred part of a person, the place where our true selves reside. Perhaps that's why eyes are my favorite feature, the one I notice first upon meeting someone new.
Bitsy, your eyes are big, expressive, and a beautiful mix of blue and green. You notice everything and take the time to really see...the clouds, the faces of those you love & those you've just met, trains & trucks & airplanes, the tiniest bug, feathers, the moon in the daytime sky. Mama's eyes have grown lazy after 33 years. I miss so much of the beauty surrounding me because I expect it, and consequently have grown numb to it. And yet, you unwrap these gifts for me day after day. You see the colors more colorfully. The details are so clearly focused in your sight. Your eyes drink in the wonder of this world in big gulps. Thank you for sharing what you see with me, encouraging me to wake up to the awesomeness of the ordinary.
Love, Mama
This post was inspired by FridayLetters.com's question #153. 

2 comments:

Mimi said...

Ah, I think Liza might be my girl in this department; I tend to notice details. Maybe she will continue to notice details, too. Time will tell. There's just so much beauty in the world that is easily missed if we only look at the big picture. Love my Liza.

Gibster said...

Her eyes make it beautiful for you. Your words make it beautiful for us.