I'm feeling lately that my life is a Jenga tower, one block pulled out of the wrong spot (one box left unchecked on the to-do list), and the whole thing is going to come tumbling down.
And Superwoman? Perhaps you've heard of her.
She's the wife who manages to keep the household humming providing an interesting variety of dinners each week, empty laundry baskets, dustless surfaces, clean toilets, sparkling mirrors, clutterfree kitchen counters, a well-stocked fridge, fresh sheets & towels, and homemade muffins for grab and go breakfasts each morning. Oh, the bills get paid and the dogs are fed, too.
She's the mama who's read all the right books so she can claim a good eater who sleeps at all the right times and never throws a tantrum. She keeps the blog steadily supplied with pictures and sweet notes about how the baby is growing and changing, sends birthday cards on time and thank you notes too. Her email inbox is always empty because she's so good at replying in a timely manner, and she never neglects to return a phone call.
Somewhere amidst all this is the creative soul who reads for fun and some learning too, sets her alarm early enough to write every morning, knits a row here and there on the baby blanket she started a year ago for a friend's shower (except she's only halfway done & the baby will be one in December), and dabbles a little in Photoshop recording her family's story in words and pictures.
My hand can only push & pull these blocks for so long before the tower begins to teeter. I can be Superwoman for a day, a week, a month maybe, until I turn around and see my cape all in tatters.
I need a break. It's way past time to bury the cape and let those blocks fall where they may.
I'll be out back playing in the sand...
doing a little digging,
a little sifting,
a little rebuilding...
pursuing JOY.
7 comments:
i totally needed to read this today. and about the dinner thing... i just spent the last hour preparing a nice meal for us (the only night b will be home to eat with us), while bouncing a fussy baby & keeping the girls in line, only to find out that 1. b will in fact NOT be home, and 2. that girl #1 is "not so sure about meatloaf". sweet. underappreciated and overworked. wanna meet me on a beach in mexico?? miss you.
It's days like these that I try to find joy in the simplest pleasures: delicious coffee, a good song on the radio or the new vanity fair in my mailbox. Because I need to feed my soul. Because I tell myself this too shall pass and in a blink my babies will be away at college and my husband home. home all the time. what will I do when he's never away?! Rely on the things that feed your soul to keep those jenga blocks in place. All the pieces to the puzzle are tucked away inside your heart and I know it's so hard to reach inside and grab them when you need them but I have faith in you. Claire I know that you can juggle all of these responsibilities and not just 'handle' it but do it with the grace and consideration that I have always loved about you.
Oh Claire, I love this post. I swear, today was one of "those" days for us.....two year old tantrums to the max and pregnant mama exhaustion. My house is filthy, we ate chicken nuggets in front of the blaring t.v. for dinner and Kaylie passed out in her snow white dress on my lap at 6:45 from the sheer exhaustion of driving me nuts all day......
p.s....you are an amazing Mom Claire and I am so inspired by all of your talents.....reading your blog tonight totally lightened my ultra-crummy mood!
I second what everyond else said. Claire, this is the best blog post anyone's ever done, ever. It made me smile and reminded me it's ok to NOT be superwoman... As I sit here in my bleary-eyed state nursing a baby thinking about the 3 weeks worth of mail falling off the entry table or the 387 new messages in my inbox that I haven't cleaned out in weeks and remember that I forgot to send thank you notes from Erik's 1st birthday and he's now 17 months.. I don't even know how I'll ever manage to cook another meal, much less a creative, fabulous one of days gone by. Now is just a really refreshing time for me to hear "normal" mommy stories like these :)
PREACH!!! Man, you're good.
Amen, sister! And in the scheme of life, finding balance in our days is SO much wiser than trying to be Superwoman. Love, love, love you & yours....
Post a Comment