Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Surprise!

I purchased this tiny cactus last summer. If you look closely, you will notice that these blooms are hot glued to the top of the cactus. They aren't native to this plant. The store knew what they were doing, though, because I'm not sure I would have bought just a plain green, prickly cactus. It was the pretty bloom that drew me to it. Last summer it had one pale pink flower. The papery petals opened and closed with the rising and setting of the sun, which I found totally endearing. Anyway, I left this little guy out on the porch all winter. The pink flower turned brown, shriveled up, and went away. The cactus stayed green and seemed to be alive, so I just left him there. Imagine my JOY when a few days ago I noticed multiple purple blossoms opening to greet the morning sun! Nature is some kind of amazing, don't you think?

3 comments:

benarinn said...

you're right... they are lovely!

Anonymous said...

I don't get it. Help...

Michelle said...

absolutely!